Monday, May 29, 2017

Confining Cinnamon

Cinnamon, my almost Maine Coon cat friend, rebelled at a shock collar. You might think me cruel, but Cinnamon figured out how to get across the radio wire clean within a day. Back and forth. Speed is the secret. Go too fast for the device to even register a boundary signal.

Now in the neighbor's yard. Now under a parked car. While I watched she went and sat in the middle of the street as if she were really stupid. When I went to get her she ducked under a car. She let me crawl halfway under that car after her. A few more like that and she considered my loyalty sufficiently demonstrated. She never gets close to the edge now. She just does not care to. The yard is her territory. She hangs out there with me. When it is winter she watches me from the closest window. 

If we are both outside and she isn't sleeping, she will sit ten feet away and watch me. She stalks the ducks, and knows they are too fast for her. They pretty much ignore her too. Probably remember the squirrel laughing at her and feel much the same. They know exactly how far she can jump and stay just over the line.
Occasionally she charges. She gets within a foot or two, but they have exploded into the air. They settle in the stream, flying all of fifteen feet. If you were a cat you would enjoy watching them too. But you would not waste energy. She accepts the score.

She will sit on the front porch and watch what happens on the street. For endless hours. You cannot beat the attention of a cat. Often she sleeps nights on the stairs so no one can get to me without stepping on her. We look out for each other. She is not a junior partner. I belong to her.

written on Facebook 5/28/17

No comments:

Post a Comment