Saturday, May 21, 2016

The First-Time Success Illusion

Nothing, not a damned thing worth doing, ever works the first time.  Maybe not even the 100th time.  The faster you are proven wrong, the sooner what you are trying might just work.  This is taken as Gospel now.  Still, people fear failure.

I can say that there is no sense mourning those dessicated, half-baked ideas you kicked into the corner.  But you will not understand until failure grabs you by the throat and scares the shit out of you. 

There is a caveat: Mostly, the price for seeing your ideas come alive is that they get credited to someone else.  If you want credit, ideas will just shrivel up.  I'm just thrilled when someone picks up an idea I dropped and takes off like it was their idea all along.  You make life happen differently by giving it away.

I guess you can tell I'm not a college professor.  They have to take credit, even when someone else does the work.  Occupational hazard.  Let me tell you, re-inventing something is just as much fun and more likely to be successful.  You get to live the experience, but will not get the credit.  Your predecessors left plenty of seed around for you to plant.  Do not just sit on your parent's couch being frustrated.  The real failure is sitting out the game.


                                     "Dry Gardening Success"

Oh look, this stub of a post was a duplicate. I was clearing the "in-process" queue.  At some point publish what you have, no matter how poorly written.  I did complete this piece.  Check lower down.

Just trying not to kick the bucket with a full queue of unfinished stuff.  This is so unlike me.  I leave unfinished stuff everywhere.  In point of fact life is quite long enough.  We blink past decades in the mind.

A clean desk?  No, let the future sort things out.  When your memory releases the objects surrounding you, they will be seen as junk plus a keepsake or two.

I left a thriving Mediterranean garden behind in Southern California. The garden did so very well, thank you, on natural precipitation.  Why don't we plant the whole place that way?

Perhaps some day I will tell you how it works and how I learned to do it.

Not really that difficult.  But there are additional rules for people who learned to grow stuff elsewhere, in places where many plants can be raised happily.  Places we grew up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment